Until two kilometers before the finish Audun Laugaland (NOR, Fischer skis and boots) looked like the winner as he was in a comfortable lead at the 90th Vasaloppet – but however at the end he had to be satisfied in fourth place. On the womens side Britta Johansson Norgren (SWE, Fischer skis and boots) and Annika Löfström (SWE, Fischer) made the podium.
The conditions at this years Vasaloppet were extremely diffucult. Due to the warm weather in the weeks before the race, the organisation commitee struggled, but finally they were able to start the worldwide biggest skimarathon with 15.800 participants.
And it was an exciting one! Already after 35 kilometers Espen Harald Bjerke (NOR, Fischer) opened a gap of up to 2.5 minutes, but 15 kilometers before the finish the chasing group catched him again. Then Audun Laugaland tried to open a gap and looked like the clear winner two kilometers before the finish. But suddenly his power was gone and the chasers catched him on the final strech. At the end Laugaland had to be satisfied in fourth place behind John Kristian Dahl (NOR), Johan Kjoelstad (NOR) and Jörgen Brink (SWE).
On the womens side sich Britta Johansson Norgren and Annika Löfström made the podium by taking second and third behind Laila Kveli (NOR). Seraina Boner (SUI, Fischer) had a broken pole at the beginning of the race and struggled with some back problems. However she finished in fifth place and thus is still in the lead in the overall ranking of the SWIX Ski Classics series. Result men:
1. Dahl, John Kristian (NOR) 04:14:33
2. Kjölstad, Johan (NOR) 04:14:36
3. Brink, Jörgen (SWE) 04:14:38
4. Laugaland, Audun (NOR) 04:14:42 Fischer skis and boots
10. Callesen, Christoffer (NOR) 04:14:52 Fischer skis and boots Result women:
1. Kveli, Laila (NOR) 04:31:57
2. Johansson Norgren, Britta (SWE) 04:33:06 Fischer skis and boots
3. Löfström, Annika (SWE) 04:33:48 Fischer
4. Nyström, Susanne (SWE) 04:37:22
5. Boner, Seraina (SUI) 04:40:49 FischerOverall Result list